About Me

My photo
Tulsa, OK, United States
I am a Business Owner, Consultant, Husband, Dad, Brother and Son.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The HUNT Big Buck Oklahoma

This story is true and I can back it up with video. It started Nov. 2nd 2007 I had set up my own deer camp as I love to get away and spend time in God's country. I enjoy talking to God and clearing my head making sure my direction is clear. I had set up a 5 man tent next to a pond on the thousand acres I hunt in the center of Oklahoma. I hunted the first afternoon from a deer stand called lone tree. It is a perfect place next to a pond and in the middle of the valley where all the deer trails come together. I was hunting black powder and I had ranged my distances to know my maximum firing capabilities. Out of range crossing on the hill in front of me I saw a huge buck. His rack was tall and longer than his neck and he walked looking like a king. I got excited and I said Lord, I have to go see where that deer crossed. All I heard in my spirit was "Patience". I waited another 15 minutes and another buck a nice 8 point crossed in the exact same location. I wanted to go check it out but again I got "patience". After another 15 minutes even knowing I was suppose to sit still I thought to myself "Screw it I have to go see where those deer crossed". I was half way down my deer stand and not 20 feet behind me were two 6 point bucks and a huge doe. I could not do anything as i looked like a squirrel stuck on the side of the tree. All I heard was "I told you patience".

That night was a very cold night and the stars were so bright. It reminded me of many nights I had spent in different countries with the Marine Corps. I have always known that I have a purpose in life and I often still evaluate whether or not I am headed in the right direction to meet all that God has planned for me. When I was young I knew God was calling me to help other people, whether feeding the hungry or sharing the good news. That cold starry night I told God, "If you still want me to minister in some way let me see two falling stars". The sky so far had been totally quite. As soon as I said it in my thoughts I saw a falling star. A little while later while talking on the phone to my beautiful bride I saw a second star. I knew God still had a plan for me even though I continue to mess things up or get too busy to see the needs around me.

The next morning was very crisp and still. It was a perfect morning. This time I chose to hunt out of a deer stand called broken heart. It is a ladder stand that sits in the middle of a wooded area and the shooting lanes are nice but not far in distance. It would be easy to see a deer but for it to be on the other side of a brushy area. I sat in my stand and again challenged the Lord. "If you want me to minister to people by helping to support different ministries and by my daily actions, then give me a big deer". I could not make up a story like this, it was truly an awesome weekend. It was one of those setting where you could feel that the deer would be coming through. One of those feelings that you can not explain. You look from left to right and sit very still waiting because you know that there is a deer coming. You visualize where the deer will come into your area. I could not have planned any better what happened. I looked to my front and crossing from my 12 o'clock to my left heading to 7 o'clock was a buck with his head down. He was definitely in rut. I raised my black powder and hoped that he would walk to the inside of a set of trees because otherwise I would not have a shot. Sure enough he walked inside, I raised to a shooting lane and waited for him to cross my iron sites. I saw him run about 40 feet and then go end over end. I was excited but did never got the "Buck Fever". I think the Marines train you pretty well how to stay calm and make a good shot.

Here is the video, I shot just after I pulled the 4 wheeler over by the buck. The trees you see in the video are the area where Broken Heart is situated. When I shot this first video I had not counted the rack, I simply thought without looking that I had a 10 point deer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLDwPE0F7WI.

Now I will show you the official count of this monster buck. I had to shoot a local police officer giving the count. Now keep in mind that the official B&C count will be less but not by much. I have waited the 60 days for the official count but now I am waiting for them to finish the mount so I can get an official B&C count. Here is the check in count. They would not let me leave until they all called there friends in. I was still getty at this time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frIzXzmt5A

I do want to make a disclaimer. My wife and I use every bit of the deer I kill. We eat the meat because it is the best meat for you. I love to hunt but I am also very respectful that I make every effort to make it a hunt. I also believe in using everything you can.

Needless to say I got the big buck I asked for. Now I will seek His guidance and look for all opportunities to minister to those in need. I hope you enjoyed this weekend in the life of Dugle.

1 comment:

T said...

Kevin, that is awesome! I had no idea of the "thoughts" that went on during this shoot. I'm glad you realize that he still has a plan for you because I've always known it as well and have never doubted or questioned...you are definitely destined for great things!